Where do you start when you’re thinking about adding or replacing a deck? We’ve outlined a few things to think about to get the process started:
- Budget: Decide on a budget that you are comfortable with. Setting a budget before all else can help you focus in on a realistic deck size and material. Keep in mind that adding a deck is one of the smartest home improvement projects you can invest in because the return on investment can be as much as 77%.
- Use of Your Deck/Size: Ask yourself a few questions to narrow in on your needs. How do you plan to use your deck? Are you looking for more space to entertain guests? Are you simply looking for a grilling and dining space for your family? Do you plan on getting a pool or hot tub in the near future? These questions will also help you determine what size and shape you might want your deck to be.
- Where to Build: Pay attention to the amount of exposure to sunlight your chosen spot will get. If your deck will get sunlight all day long you might want to consider adding an awning (Care Free Homes offers beautiful motorized Betterliving Awnings) to make your deck more comfortable.
- Material & Maintenance: Real wood is a naturally beautiful and traditional decking material as long as it is maintained properly. Options include pressure-treated wood, native hardwood, and exotic hardwood. Composite decking often mimics the look of wood but is made of blends of wood and synthetic material to make the decking virtually maintenance free. PVC decking is an ultra-low-maintenance options that is generally stain, fade, chalk, and mold resistant. Vinyl decking is non-porous, easy to clean and available smooth or textured.
- Additional Features: Depending on the height of your deck you might also need to choose railings. Also, consider whether or not you want to add any custom features to your deck. Benches, lighting, planter boxes, and fire pits are great ways to personalize your new deck and make it unique. Contact us today and let Care Free deck your home out with an outside oasis for relaxation and entertaining! Start planning and get inspired from our extensive collection of photos on the Care Free Homes, Inc. Pinterest Decking Board!